Fluffy puff pastry, fresh strawberries and homemade pastry cream make this a delicious, sophisticated treat.
For the Strawberry Napoleons
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 17.3 oz box puff pastry sheets
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp milk
For Whipped Cream Topping
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Prepare the Pastry Cream
- Add the egg yolks to a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
- Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add a little bit of milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This process ensures that you don’t scramble the egg yolks.
- Place the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth, then top with clear wrap that touches the top of the cream (it helps prevent a film from forming on top). Refrigerate until cool and ready to use.
Assemble the Napoleons
- Remove the two sheets of puff pastry from the box and cut each set into 3 strips, for a total of 6 strips.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 13 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and allow to cool. Press the baked pastry down just a bit, if needed so they layers are relatively flat.
- To finish making the pastry cream, add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to a large mixer bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream.
- To layer everything together, place a layer of puff pastry onto a serving plate and top it with some chopped strawberries.
- Pipe or spread some pastry cream on top of the berries, then repeat another layer of puff pastry, strawberries and pastry cream.
- Top off the pastry with a third pastry strip on top. Repeat the layering process with the remaining puff pastry, pastry cream and strawberries.
- To make the icing, add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Spread the icing onto the top of the completed napoleons.
- To add the whipped cream topping, add the ingredients to a large mixer bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe swirls of the whipped cream on top of the napoleons and top with a few additional chopped berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!