French Onion Soup
- 6 1/2 Cups Sweet Onions sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 4 Cups Beef Stock or Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 Slices French or Italian Bread toasted
- 1/2 Cup Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh Parsley
- Heat butter in a deep sauce pan on medium-high heat
- Brown the onions and garlic, stir often. Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook until the flour starts to brown.
- Add the stock, wine, water, bay leaf and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into 6 individual crocks placed on a baking sheet. Place a slice of toasted bread on top and sprinkle each crock with a generous amount of cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbles. Garnish with parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!