Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter soften
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 whole egg beaten vigorously until frothy (save remainder)
- 2 Tablespoons cold milk
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
Sweet Potato Filling
- 2-3 sweet potatoes enough to yield 1 cup cooked pulp, baked
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 egg vigorously beaten until frothy (reserved from above)
- 1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pecan Pie Syrup
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 small eggs
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces or halves
- whipped cream optional
- Make dough: Place butter, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer; beat on high until mixture is creamy. Add the half-egg and beat 30 seconds. Add milk and beat on high speed 2 minutes. Add flour and beat on medium speed 5 seconds, then on high speed just until blended, about 5 seconds more. Over-mixing will produce a tough dough. Remove from bowl and shape into a 5-inch patty about 1/2 inch thick. Lightly dust patty with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. (Dough will last up to one week, refrigerated).
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Very lightly flour top of dough and fold into quarters. Carefully place in a greased and floured 8-inch CAKE pan (1-1/2 inches deep) so the corner of the folded dough is centered in the pan. Unfold dough and arrange it to fit sides and bottom of pan; press firmly in place. Trim edges. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Make filling: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Make syrup: Combine all ingredients except pecans in a mixing bowl. On slow speed of an electric mixer, mix thoroughly until syrup is opaque, about 1 minute. Stir in pecans.
- To assemble: Spoon sweet potato filling evenly into the dough-lined cake pan. Pour pecan syrup on top. Bake in a 325-oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1-3/4 hours. (The pecans will rise to the top of the pie during baking.)
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!